Wednesday, February 6, 2013

All Worthy Young Women May Participate in Temple Ordinances

Almost a year ago, there was an incident in an LDS temple where a couple of young women were not permitted into the baptismal font because they happened to be menstruating. This provoked some discussion on the internet, and even an organized information gathering campaign to find out how widespread was the policy of not allowing menstruating girls into the font. I remember reading about the issue, and was prepared to call my nearest temple until I found that someone had already done so. Apparently, I missed the follow-up. While reading comments on another topic, I learned that the information was given to Church headquarters, which prompted a response. Having completely missed this statement, I went in search of it. The best source I can find is the Salt Lake Tribune.
Performing baptisms in church temples is a sacred ordinance open to all members who are at least 12 years of age and who meet the standards of the church," Trotter said in a statement. "The decision of whether or not to participate in baptisms during a menstrual cycle is personal and left up to the individual."
Kudos to the Church for shutting down that line of nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment