Sunday, June 23, 2013

An Historic Event! Maybe

I am heading out backpacking in about an hour, so I won't get the pleasure of seeing or commentating on tonight's special broadcast on the Work of Salvation. I keep hearing speculation of some big announcement or some big policy change.

I think we'll be underwhelmed. Here's my reasoning.
  1. The ward councils are specifically invited.
  2. The missionary force is about to increase by about 30,000 bodies.
  3. We're sending out the first batch of new mission presidents with these new missionaries
My guess is that there will be a lot of focus on how to make the most of the increased missionary force.  And the principles emphasized will be the same principles that have been emphasized for the last 30 years.  Namely, the missionary effort won't succeed unless the membership are involved.  I think we'll hear new platitudes and sound bites that will get repeated ad nauseum for the next 4-5 years until it's decided that these sound bites aren't creating the desired effect so we need new sound bites. (lather, rinse, repeat).

I'd love to be wrong.  I'd love to hear an announcement of some kind of a program like the one I dreamed of here.  But I'm not holding my breath.  Instead, I think we'll hear more about the same model we've been using for the past century, and we'll continue to get disappointing returns (see here for a crude analysis of what may happen with the expanded missionary force).

If I'm wrong, however, you'll have a whole week to bash on me without any retaliation.  Enjoy it.  Have fun.  I'll be having the time of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment